How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Nov. 1.
Thank you for your interest in our General Surgery Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to Albany Medical College’s residency programs:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
Graduates from schools outside of the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF more than 12 weeks of their clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured.
A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
Each year we have five categorical and four non-designated preliminary spots in our program. In order to be considered, you must meet the following criteria:
- All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
- Applicants must have graduated from an approved medical school within three years of the date of application.
All applicants must have passed both Step 1 and Step 2 of the USMLE. (It is required that PGY1-level residents register for Step 3 before being promoted to the PGY2 level of training.)
In general, our cut-off score is 220, but we review the entire application and selection is not based exclusively on scores.
We have four interview dates from late November through mid-January.
To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean's letter
- ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Personal statement
- Photo (preferred but not required)
- USMLE Steps I and II
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Department of General Surgery
Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., MC-61
Albany, NY 12208