How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Sept. 30.
Thank you for your interest in our Urological Surgery Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to our program:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
IMPORTANT: Graduates from schools outside the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF:
- More than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured.
- This is a New York State regulation.
- A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
If you are a foreign medical graduate you must meet the following requirements:
- You must have a J-1 visa. We do NOT sponsor H-1 visas.
- You must have a valid ECFMG Certificate.
- You must have one year of clinical experience in the U.S. not including externships or observerships.
- We require four letters of recommendation from U.S. physicians.
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean's letter
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Personal statement
- USMLE Step I and II
- Applicants interested in the urological surgery training program are encouraged to submit an application using the ERAS application system. The deadline for applications is Sept. 30.
- The program is very competitive. We usually receive over 320 applications for the three available positions in each application cycle.
- Interviews take place in December of each application cycle.
- We recommend that you submit your NBME Board Scores, medical school transcript, and at least four letters of recommendation before the deadline, in order to be considered for an interview.
- The Urology Residency Match Program is an early match administered by the AUA Office of Education. The match date is in February.
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Department of Urology
Albany Medical College
23 Hackett Blvd., MC-108
Albany, NY 12208