Message from the Program Director
The Department of Urology at Albany Medical College takes great pride in its resident teaching program.
Our goal is to produce superb clinicians who are able to excel in both teaching and research. In addition, we expect residents to give of themselves to their community.
We accomplish this goal through exposure to a large clinical volume, dedicated clinical and didactic teaching, and exceptional role models. Our residents become part of our family, with all the benefits and expectations that brings.
Please feel free to contact us for more information.
Barry A. Kogan, MD
Director, Urological Surgery Residency Program
Falk Chair in Urology
Professor, Urology and Pediatrics
Department of Urology
Albany Medical Center
23 Hackett Blvd., MC-108
Albany, NY 12208
Department of Urology Mission
The Department of Urology is dedicated to being the leading provider of urological care in the Capital Region. We will achieve this by:
- Providing the most appropriate, state-of-the-art care to our patients.
- Earning the loyalty of our patients and their families by consistently exceeding their expectations for personal services, warmth, and timeliness.
- Educating our patients and their families about their illness in order to allow them to make informed choices about their health care.
- Providing both compassionate care and emotional support for our patients and their families as needed to deal with their illness and complex social situations.
- Regularly evaluating our outcomes to be certain that our interactions with patients are both productive and cost effective.
The Department of Urology is dedicated to improving the knowledge of other physicians to enable them to better care for urological conditions. We will achieve this by:
- Teaching medical students about urology.
- Providing post-graduate trainees with a stimulating atmosphere in which to observe and learn the highest quality urological care so they can become future leaders in the field.
- Giving community urologists regular opportunities to update their urological knowledge.
- Offering post-graduate education on urological issues for primary care physicians in the Capital Region and urologists nationally.
- Regularly monitoring and evaluating our educational programs.
The Department of Urology is dedicated to improving the fundamental knowledge base in urology. We will achieve this by:
- Offering our patients the option to test the latest medical products and pharmaceutical options, even as they are being evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration for efficacy and safety.
- Using imaginative clinical research protocols to advance knowledge of medical and surgical conditions.
- Performing unique laboratory research to uncover basic pathophysiologic mechanisms of urological illness and thereby discover new prevention and treatment strategies.
- Collaborating with epidemiologic and outcomes researchers to evaluate the incidence and significance of urological disorders, as well as to document the benefits of our therapies.