How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Dec. 31.
Thank you for your interest in our Internal Medicine Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Applicants who signal our program and meet our selection criteria will be preferentially considered for interviews.* Our goal is to ensure that we can holistically review applications while also asking our applicants to deeply reflect on whether they feel that we are a program that will meet their unique learning and career aspirations.
* Students who have not signaled our program but meet our selection criteria may also be considered for an interview.
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to Albany Medical College’s Internal Medicine Residency Program:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
Graduates from schools outside of the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State if more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school’s curriculum, as configured. A list of approved schools is available from the Graduate Medical Education Office.
Our program considers candidates who meet the following criteria:
- Minimum of three months of clinical training (such as an externship) in the U.S. or the U.K. Please include with your application three letters of recommendation from U.S. or U.K. physicians with whom you have worked in this setting.
- We sponsor J-1 visas; we do NOT sponsor H1-B visas
- No more than two years out of medical school
- New York State mandates you have not spent more than 12 weeks of elective time outside your medical school country while enrolled as a student (prior to receiving your medical degree).
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). No paper applications or faxed materials will be accepted from any source. Applicant participation in the supplemental ERAS application is optional.
To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean’s letter (MSPE)
- ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
- Three current letters of recommendation, including a Department of Medicine letter
- Medical school transcript and diploma or certificate
- Personal statement
- Photo (required)
- USMLE Steps I and II OR Complex I and II scores
ERAS and Thalamus announced a collaboration for the 2023-2024 residency interview cycle. Our program will be participating in this and will be sending interview invites through Thalamus’ scheduling platform, as well as using MS Teams for the virtual platform. Please be sure to create an account with Thalamus in preparation to have the smoothest interview scheduling experience. Thalamus requires each user to have an account in order to schedule an interview.
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Maria K. Weaver
Program Administrative Director
Albany Medical Center Internal Medicine
43 New Scotland Ave., MC-17
Albany, NY 12208