How to Apply
The application deadline is Jan. 1.
Thank you for your interest in our Emergency Medicine Residency at Albany Medical College!
We select 12 incoming residents each year through the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP). Applications are only accepted through the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS). We look forward to learning about you and meeting as many of you as we can. We never offer more invitations than we have open spots to interview, so rest assured you will have a spot when you get an invite.
Candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Graduate of medical school in the U.S. or Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME)
- Graduate of medical school in the U.S. or Canada accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduate of medical school outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications: Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND is a graduate of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education * or have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.** Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who has passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.* Graduates from schools outside of the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF: more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the 3rd and 4th years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured. A list of those schools currently approved is available here.
- Passing USMLE Steps I and II, first attempt
- Minimum of six months of clinical training (such as an externship) in the U.S. or the U.K. along with three letters of recommendation from U.S. or U.K. physicians with whom you have worked in this setting
- J-1 visas only. We do not sponsor H1-b visas
All applications are submitted through ERAS. You will be required to submit the following materials:
- Photo (preferred but not required)
- Personal statement
- USMLE Steps I and II or COMLEX Level I and II
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Dean's letter
- Three current letters of recommendation (to include at least one SLOE)
- ECFMG certificate (if applicable)
Feel free to reach out with questions and to obtain a digital information packet:
Emergency Medicine Chief Residents
Sean Geary, MD
Jessica Noonan, MD
Associate Program Director
Alexander Bracey, MD
Assistant Program Director
Timothy Palmeri, MD
Assistant Program Director