Train in all Facets of Emergency Medicine
As the only tertiary care center in New York's Capital Region, our Emergency Department cares for a diverse patient population from urban, suburban, and rural environments spread among 25 counties. In addition, the sickest and most complicated patients are transferred from other facilities for our high level specialty care.
- Three-year ACGME-accredited program with 12 residents per year
- Busiest emergency department in New York State, with around 76,000 adult visits per year and 21,000 pediatric visits
- Three-million person catchment area serving an urban, suburban, and rural patient population
- Level 1 Adult and Pediatric Trauma Center, regional STEMI and STROKE center
- Our faculty are dual trained in 13 different subspecialty areas
- Our graduates hail from and graduate to all regions of the country in community, academic, and fellowship positions
We have an established and proven record of training residents to be proficient in their skills, evidence-based in their thinking, and leaders in the field of emergency medicine. Our curriculum and training is designed to prepare graduates for all practice environments; our alumni have thrived as single-provider physicians in community emergency departments and in the most competitive academic fellowships throughout the nation.
- Versatility To train residents who are fellowship, academic and community ready, allowing them to practice anywhere
- Leadership We are a community of leaders, helping to mold the leaders of the next generation
- Community We strive to cultivate a culture of kindness, a network of support, and a strong commitment to equity and inclusion
- Education Focus on individualized goals, collective accountability, and an environment of academic inquiry
About the Albany Med Health System
Albany Medical Center, the anchor of the Albany Med Health System, is one of the largest teaching hospitals in New York State offering a wide range of outstanding clinical care – from routine preventative care to sophisticated cancer and surgical care to life-saving emergency medicine – while teaching the next generation of medical providers and advancing critical biomedical research.
Living in the Capital Region
Albany is a great place to live, learn and work. It is the center of a region known for its robust economy, arts and culture, colleges and universities and recreational opportunities.
As a resident or fellow of Albany Medical Center, there are many resources available to you to help manage the demands of being a physician. Our goal is to promote work-life balance and overall wellness by advocating for you and providing you with the tools to reduce burnout, depression, and other stressors you may encounter during your training.
Distinction in Quality and Leadership
This program promotes professional success for physicians through a deeper understanding of Health Systems Science.