Human Anatomy Program Admissions
Applying to the Master of Science Degree in Human Anatomy (MSHA) Program at Albany Medical College
The Master of Science Degree in Human Anatomy (MSHA) is a two-year standalone program designed to provide graduate-level training and teaching experience in the anatomical sciences. The main purpose of this program is to train students to be high-quality educators in the anatomical sciences. This section contains information you need to make sure the admissions process is as clear and straightforward as possible.
Who should apply?
Although it is a fundamental element of medical education, there is a nationwide shortage of human anatomists. A master's degree in human anatomy prepares you for advanced training and diverse career opportunities in education, biotechnology, exercise science, and various health care or medical settings. It also opens doors to health-related jobs, teaching positions, and research roles.
Commitment to Diversity
Albany Medical College is committed to offering educational opportunities to all eligible persons without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, or national origin. Our policies, practices, and procedures reflect and support this belief.
Applying to graduate school is easier when you know what to expect. For insight into Albany Medical College’s Office of Graduate Studies application process and what it entails, see below. And remember that this application process is just as much an opportunity for you to learn about us as it is for us to get to know you.
To be considered for admission to the MSHA program, applicants must demonstrate the following minimum criteria:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Successful completion of one year of the following courses:
- General Biology
- General Chemistry
- GRE or other examination scores are NOT required
- There is no minimum GPA requirement for admission
- Click this link to apply online and select "New Applicant," then follow the instructions.
- When prompted to choose the program you are applying to, select “Human Anatomy.”
Completed applications received by the Graduate Studies Program are forwarded to the appropriate program. That program then reviews the applicants and compiles a list of their prospective students. Those students are then presented to the Graduate Studies Operating Committee (GSOC) for final approval.
Information required to complete the application includes:
- Contact information
- Addresses, phone numbers, and emails where you can be reached.
- Curriculum vitae
- Information on your education, relevant employment, research experience, experience with relevant techniques, honors and awards, publications, and leadership experience.
- Personal statement (<500 words)
- Reasons for pursuing graduate study and your career goals.
- Transcript from all courses/schools taken at the college and university level
- Official transcripts must be sent from the INSTITUTION via email to [email protected] or via regular mail to Office of the Graduate Studies Program MC-16, Albany Medical College, 47 New Scotland Ave., Albany, NY 12208-3479.
- Contact information for three letters of recommendation
- The letters of recommendation will be automatically requested from the names and contact information that you provide. References should explain why (i) you would be a good addition to the program for which you are applying; (ii) your skills are appropriate to the program and would be the best choice.
- English Proficiency Exam score (TOEFL or IELTS)
- If English is not your first language and you have not attained a degree from a U.S. college or university.
Albany Medical College’s Office of Graduate Studies programs utilize "rolling admission," where the best students can be accepted upon receipt of a completed application. We highly recommend that you submit your application and supporting materials early in the application cycle for the best chance of consideration.
The application deadline period for the MSHA program is September 1 - May 1. All students begin in the following Fall after their acceptance.
Each applicant is looked at on a case-by-case basis along with other accomplishments and experiences. A virtual interview will be required as part of the admission process. The applicant can request an in-person interview which will be granted pending the availability of the admissions committee. All costs incurred during an in-person interview are the responsibility of the applicant.
Information for International Applicants
Applicants to the MSHA program should have a TOEFL / IELTS score that reflects a good ability to read and write English. You will need official transcripts from all undergraduate/graduate school(s), a $60.00 application fee (waivable), and documentation of financial support to live in the U.S.
Program Contact Information
We look forward to receiving your application and getting to know you. Please direct all questions about the program to:
Michael P. Smith, PhD
Director, Anatomy & Anatomical Gift Program
Program Director, Master of Science in Human Anatomy
Adjunct Professor, Department of Surgery
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Avenue MC-135
Albany, New York 12208
email address: [email protected]