Alden March Bioethics Institute Admissions
Applying to the Alden March Bioethics Institute of Albany Medical College
The Alden March Bioethics Institute of Albany Medical College offers Graduate Certificates, a Master of Science in Bioethics, and a Doctorate of Professional Studies in Health Ethics and Policy. We are an internationally recognized leader in bioethics. The multidisciplinary center focuses on education, research, and clinical consultation.
Our online graduate programs provide mid-career professionals, joint degree students, and highly motivated post-baccalaureate students with an opportunity to supplement current education or career training with cutting-edge, innovative, and challenging coursework in bioethics. This section contains information you need to make sure the admissions process is as clear and straightforward as possible.
Who should apply?
We have students of all types in our Master of Science (MS) in Bioethics, Doctorate of Professional Studies (DPS), and Graduate Certificate programs:
- Our graduate certificate students are mostly mid-career professionals working in a clinical ethics setting at a hospital, and hoping to gain more knowledge and expertise within the field of clinical ethics.
- Our MS students are very diverse, from students straight out of undergraduate college to medical students to lawyers, nurses, physicians, and even those simply with a deep personal interest in bioethics.
- Our DPS students are those who already have an MS in Bioethics and are looking to further their education and career in Bioethics.
We encourage students from all backgrounds to apply to our program, as it offers a unique diversity not found in all graduate programs.
Commitment to Diversity
Albany Medical College is committed to offering educational opportunities to all eligible persons without regard to race, creed, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, or national origin. Our policies, practices, and procedures reflect and support this belief.
Learn more about diversity initiatives at Albany Medical College.
Applying to graduate school is easier when you know what to expect. For insight into the Alden March Bioethics Institute of Albany Medical College’s application process and what it entails, see below. And remember that this application process is just as much an opportunity for you to learn about us as it is for us to get to know you.
- Application instructions
Secure two individuals willing to write a Letter of Recommendation
We recommend using anyone who can speak about your academic successes and abilities, and how you would benefit, perform and add to our program. Most often, this would be professors or academic advisors.
- Apply online to any of our graduate programs.
- Have all transcripts mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Graduate Studies Coordinator
Alden March Bioethics Institute - Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave, MC-153
Albany, NY 12208
email: [email protected]
If you are applying to the Doctorate of Professional Studies (DPS) program, a writing sample is also required and can be mailed, faxed, or emailed to the Graduate Studies Coordinator. (Contact information is above.)
To be considered for admission to the Alden March Bioethics Institute, applicants must demonstrate the following criteria:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution (for any of our programs).
- There is no minimum GPA requirement for admission, but they are looked at on a case-by-case basis along with other accomplishments and experience.
- GRE scores are no longer required for admission into any of our graduate programs.
- Applicants may submit GRE scores if they would like.
- We will also accept MCAT and LSAT scores, although again, not required.
- Dual degree students must be accepted independently to their professional degree program as well as the MS in bioethics program.
- Applicants to the doctorate must possess a master’s in bioethics or equivalent.
The Alden March Bioethics Institute has rolling admission. This means we can admit students at any term throughout the year. Here is the timeline:
- It takes less than two weeks once we receive all application materials to process an application and make a decision about acceptance.
- Registration for the upcoming term starts approximately 1 month prior to classes beginning.
- Applicants should try to get their applications in about 1 month before the term begins.
- Application deadlines:
- Fall term: Aug. 1
- Winter term: Dec. 1
- Spring term: Feb. 1
- Summer term: May 1
If there is less time available and you wish to seek admission, please give us a call at 518-262-9396. We will try to work with you as much as we can.
Information for International Applicants
Applicants to AMBI should have a TOEFL / IELTS score that reflects a good ability to read and write English. We do require one of these scores for international students:
- For TOEFL, we are looking for a total score of 91.3 or better.
- For IELTS, we look for a 7.5-9 band score.
Information for Transfer Applicants
Up to six credits may be transferred from an accredited graduate institution, provided they are comparable to the course requirements of another course offered by the Alden March Bioethics Institute. The student must have a grade of B or above to transfer that credit. The Director of Graduate Studies and the Albany Medical College Curriculum Committee must approve all transfer credits. This application should take place in the semester before the transfer takes place.
Dual Degree Programs
The Alden March Bioethics Institute offers three dual degree programs. This section provides an overview of the admissions requirements for each program. If you have any questions or would like more information about any of our dual degree programs, please contact us at [email protected] or 518-262-9396.
The joint JD/MS program with Albany Law School provides students training in health, law, and bioethics by completing online and on-site courses at both Albany Medical College and the law school. Students can complete the MS program simultaneously with their JD, graduating on time with their law class.
The applicant must be accepted and matriculated in both programs through the admissions process of each program to be enrolled in the dual degree program:
This combined program will allow Albany Medical College students to receive both the MD and the MS in bioethics by taking one extra year during medical school to focus exclusively on bioethics. The purpose of this program is to prepare future physicians to pursue bioethics as an area of specialization during their medical careers.
Medical students at the Albany Medical College who demonstrate outstanding ability and potential through their work in the Scholars in Bioethics Program are eligible for the combined MD/MS in Bioethics program. This combined program will allow qualified students to receive both the MD and the MS in bioethics by taking an extra year during medical school, usually between the 2nd and 3rd years, to focus exclusively on bioethics.
This program allows students to receive both the PhD and the MS in bioethics by pursuing the degrees concurrently with some coursework applicable to both programs. The purpose of this program is to prepare future scientists to include bioethics as an area of specialization during their careers.
This program is open to graduate students already accepted and enrolled in the onsite Basic Medical Sciences program at Albany Medical College who demonstrate interest and outstanding ability and are eligible for the combined MS in Bioethics /PhD in Basic Medical Sciences program.
Program Contact Information
We look forward to receiving your application and getting to know you. Please direct all questions about the program to:
Graduate Studies Coordinator
Albany Medical College
47 New Scotland Ave, MC-153
Albany, NY 12208
email: [email protected]