How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Nov. 15.
Thank you for your interest in our Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to our program:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada which meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
IMPORTANT: Graduates from schools outside the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located, UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured.
A list of schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
The following criteria are necessary to be considered for our residency program in physical medicine and rehabilitation:
- Graduation from medical school in the last four years
- USMLE Step I and II score of 220 or better preferred on first attempt
- COMLEX is also accepted
- Prior clinical experience is preferred
Candidates must be U.S. citizens, permanent residents, or qualify for a J-1 visa. Our institution does not sponsor H-1 visas.
Applications are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). All applications must be submitted through ERAS.
To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean's letter
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Personal statement
- USMLE Step I and II
In considering candidates for residency, we review every application submitted through ERAS. We do not utilize any single application element in our consideration of the submitted materials.
Personal interviews are required. We are primarily looking for evidence that candidates have the ability and motivation to develop into skilled, caring, and competent physiatrists. We interview during November, December, and January. You will be contacted only if we will be inviting you to interview.
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., MC-79
Albany, NY 12208