The application deadline for this program is Dec. 1.
Thank you for your interest in our Pediatrics Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Sponsoring Institution: Albany Medical Center
Program Name: Albany Medical Center Program (Pediatrics)
ACGME Program Code: 3203521139
NRMP Program Code: 141320C0
Applicants with ONE of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to our Pediatrics Residency Program:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. or Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
- Minimum six months of clinical training (such as an externship in the U.S., U.K. (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) and Ireland.
- Three letters of recommendation from U.S., U.K. (England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland) and Ireland physicians with whom you have worked in this setting.
- Medical school graduation within five years of date of residency application.
Graduates of schools outside the U.S. must meet the following requirements:
- Legally able to work in the U.S. or eligible to obtain work
- Provide a valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG)
- Able to apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and participate in the National Residency Match Program (NRMP).
New York State Requirements for International Graduates
Graduates of schools outside the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State if more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school’s curriculum, as configured.
Albany Medical College only sponsors J-1 visas. We do NOT sponsor H-1B visas. Questions regarding visa sponsorship should be directed the office of Graduate Medical Education.
Albany Medical College allows students to participate in one rotation per specialty. Decisions regarding offers for the academic year are typically made the preceding April; the catalog will be published in the Visiting Student Learning Opportunities (VSLO) program in May.
All applications must be received through VSLO (formerly VSAS).*
*If you are inquiring from a school that does not participate in VSLO, please contact Katelyn Daly at [email protected], as we may be able to accommodate outside applications if Albany Medical College has a formal agreement with your medical college.
We will be participating in an all-virtual interview season. Prospective applicants are welcome to visit the Albany area, but the program will not plan to host in-person events including interviews, open houses, meetings, and tours.
Interviews will be conducted on Tuesdays and Fridays from Oct. 24, 2023 – Jan. 10, 2024, with the exception of the weeks of Nov. 27, 2023 and Jan. 8, 2024, when the program will offer interviews on Tuesday and Wednesday.
The interview day will start at 12:45 p.m. and end at 4:30 p.m. Interviewing applicants will meet with the program director, two faculty members, a chief resident, and two to four residents from the program.
Interview invitations will be sent on a rolling basis, based on interview availability, after the initial release on Oct. 13, 2023. We are committed to not sending more interview invites than we have the availability for.
|FuturePedsRes MidAtlantic Webinar||Aug. 15, 2023|
|Program Virtual Open House||Aug. 30, 2023|
|ERAS Applications Available for Program Review||Sept. 27, 2023|
|Initial Program Application Review Period||Sept. 27 - Oct. 11, 2023|
|Round 1 Invitations Release||Oct. 13, 2023|
|Deadline to Submit Applications for Review||Dec. 1, 2023|
|Final Invitations Release (based on availability of interview slots)||Dec. 8, 2023|
For an application to be considered complete, it must contain:
- ERAS application form
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcript
- Medical student performance evaluation (Dean’s letter)
- Three letters of recommendation
- USMLE or COMLEX Scores
Step 1/COMLEX Level 1 required. Step 2 CK/COMLEX Level 2 preferred at time of application but may be submitted later. Applicants are encouraged to contact the program when they have updated their scores in ERAS.
Update on Step 2 CS: As of Jan. 26, 2021, The Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB) and NBME, co-sponsors of the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE), announced the discontinuation of work to relaunch a modified Step 2 Clinical Skills examination (Step 2 CS).
ERAS and Thalamus announced a collaboration for the 2023-24 residency interview cycle. Our program will be participating in this collaboration and will be sending interview invitations through Thalamus’ scheduling platform. Please be sure to create an account with Thalamus in preparation to have the smoothest interview scheduling experience. Thalamus requires each user to have an account in order to schedule an interview.
Albany Medical College will only be accepting eligible medical students through VSLO.
Visiting student rotations are organized by the College, not the residency program. Currently, Pediatrics does not offer audition rotations, but provides plenty of pediatrics electives to choose from.
The most updated information regarding visiting student rotations can be found here.
If you have questions, please contact the visiting student coordinator at [email protected] or by calling 518-262-2929.
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Katelyn N. Daly
Department of Pediatrics
Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave.
Albany, NY 12208