The application deadline for this program is Nov. 1.
Thank you for your interest in our Orthopedic Surgery Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
Graduates from schools outside of the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF:
- More than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured.
- A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). To apply for this program through ERAS, you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean's letter (MSPE)
- Three current letters of recommendation
- One letter from the chair of Orthopedics of your medical school must be included
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Personal statement
- Photo (preferred but not required)
- USMLE Steps I and II, with scores of 220 or above on the first attempt
The match calendar can be found on the National Residency Matching Program website.
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Department of Orthopedic Surgery
Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., MC-184
Albany, NY 12208