How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Sept. 1.
Successful candidates for the position of clinical fellow must have completed a residency in general surgery from an ACGME-accredited program. Candidates must have also graduated from a Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) accredited medical school or possess certification from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). Candidates must be eligible for medical licensure in New York State. More information regarding the requirements for New York State licensing can be obtained by contacting the Medical Board. Privileges as an attending surgeon must be obtained at Albany Medical Center once a New York State medical license is obtained.
This program participates in the Minimally Invasive Surgery match process, governed by The Fellowship Council. Applications for the fellowship may be obtained through The Fellowship Council website.
Candidates for our program must meet the following criteria:
- USMLE scores 80 or above on both Steps I and II, first attempt
- Minimum of six months of clinical training (such as an externship) in the United States or the United Kingdom along with three letters of recommendation from United States or United Kingdom physicians with whom you have worked in this setting.
- We do NOT sponsor J1 visas in this program.
All applications to this program are to be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Photograph (preferred but not required)
- Personal statement
- USMLE Steps I and II
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Dean's Letter
- Three current letters of recommendation
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
For more information, please contact Veronica Bennett at [email protected].
New York State Education Department
Office of the Professions
State Education Building – 2nd Floor
89 Washington Ave.
Albany, NY 12234
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Minimally Invasive Surgery Fellowship
Albany Medical Center
43 New Scotland Ave., MC-61
Albany, NY 12208