6-6-6 Program in a Community Hospital
- Collaborative program with Hudson Headwaters Health Network and its 22 Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) in the southern Adirondacks
- Comprehensive, full spectrum training, including procedures, rural medicine, integrated behavioral health, and addiction medicine
- Competency in inpatient and outpatient care
- Experienced and dedicated faculty recognized for their teaching
- Individualized learning plans and mentorship to foster personal success and wellness
|Ambulatory Care||1 month - outpatient||1 month - outpatient||1 month - outpatient|
|Inpatient Medicine||4 months - inpatient||2 months - inpatient||2 months - inpatient|
|ICU||1 month - inpatient||1 month - inpatient||n/a|
|Obstetrics||1 month - inpatient||1 month - inpatient||n/a|
|Emergency Medicine||1 month - general EM||1 month - pediatric EM||1 month - general EM|
|Inpatient Pediatrics||1 month - NICU||1 month - inpatient peds||n/a|
|Surgery||1 month - outpatient||n/a||n/a|
|Outpatient Pediatrics||1 month - outpatient||1 month - outpatient||n/a|
|Outpatient Gynecology||1 month - outpatient||n/a||n/a|
|Rural Medicine||n/a||1 month - outpatient||n/a|
|Psychiatry||n/a||1 month - outpatient||n/a|
|Musculoskeletal/Sports Medicine||n/a||1 month - outpatient||1 month - outpatient|
|Geriatrics||n/a||n/a||1 month - outpatient|
|Behavioral Health||n/a||n/a||1 month - outpatient|
|Dermatology||n/a||n/a||1 month - outpatient|
|Medicine Elective||1 month - outpatient||1 month - outpatient||1 month - outpatient|
|Surgery Elective||n/a||n/a||1 month - outpatient|
|Electives||n/a||1 month - outpatient||3 months - outpatient|
Lifelong Leading and Learning
Year 1 - Self Inquiry, Clinical Learning, and Development
- Focus on the new physician as you transition from medical student to resident. We will encourage self-assessment of strengths and development of your own professional mission statement. This will be combined with well-being strategies and leadership development to support your needs. Investigating one’s own biases, emotional intelligence, and comfort with both giving and receiving feedback will be explored.
- As you begin clinical work in your health center, focus will be given to the patient as part of the larger community and how social determinants affect equity. Practicing in a patient-centered medical home will demonstrate how a team based care approach, incorporating integrated behavioral health and care management, can begin to address these inequities. To understand the functioning of the clinical team, you will participate in all aspects of your health center.
Year 2 - Community Observation, Culture, and Assessment
- Focus on the outpatient clinical practice as you learn more about the health care system, value-based care, and the inherent disparities which are prevalent in health care. This will require working within the larger community which your health center serves and completing a needs assessment which will serve as a springboard for a quality improvement project. You will gain skills in having difficult conversations, understanding micro/macroaggressions, and leading interdisciplinary teams.
Year 3 - Community Engagement, Physician Advocacy, and Application
- Focus will be on physician advocacy at the local, state, and national levels. This will include evaluating the models of health care delivery and understanding the business of medicine. You will work with leadership at both Saratoga Hospital and Hudson Headwaters to put your skills into practice. Advocacy work will be fostered through NYSAFP, local health departments, and other community partners.
- Opportunities will be available for you to present your community QI or research project at the local or national level. As you look to graduation you will be supported in understanding personal finance, utilizing mentors, and job interviewing.