How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Oct. 31.
Thank you for your interest in our Otolaryngology Residency Program at Albany Medical College!
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to our residency program:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
Graduates from schools outside of the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF:
- More than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured.
- A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
The program is very competitive. We receive over 150 applications for the two available positions each application cycle. We recommend that you submit your NBME board scores, medical school transcript, and at least three letters of recommendation. We will only accept applications with above 200 on USMLE Step 1. J-1 is the only visa Albany Medical Center can accept. We will contact applicants that we are interested in interviewing via email.
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean's letter (MSPE)
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
- Three current letters of recommendation
- Medical school transcript and diploma/certificate
- Personal statement
- Photo (preferred but not required)
- USMLE Steps I and II
The match calendar can be found on the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) website.
Feel free to reach out with questions:
Department of Otolaryngology
Albany Medical Center
50 New Scotland Ave., MC-41
Albany, NY 12208