How to Apply
The application deadline for this program is Nov. 30.
Thank you for your interest in our Anesthesiology Residency Program at Albany Medical Center!
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to Albany Medical College's Anesthesiology Residency Program:
- Graduates of medical schools in the U.S. and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
- Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the U.S. accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications:
- Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education OR have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.
- Graduates of medical schools outside the U.S. who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
- Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science, and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.
- Graduates from schools outside of the U.S. are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF:
- More than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the third and fourth years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school's curriculum, as configured.
- A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
All applications must be submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).
This is a categorical program (candidates will match to the Clinical Base Year). To apply for this program through ERAS, you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Dean's letter (MSPE)
- Three current letters of recommendation (at least two must be from anesthesiology electives)
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Photo (preferred but not required)
- USMLE Steps I (and II, if completed)
Interview Day Information
In compliance with AAMC guidelines, Albany Medical College only conducts virtual interviews via Thalamus. We will contact you before your interview day with a link for the meeting.
Our typical interview days are Thursdays from 8:30 a.m. to noon Eastern. (We will make accommodations for those on the West Coast or abroad.) During your assigned individual interview time, you can expect to meet with six different attending anesthesiologists for 15 minutes each. Later in the morning, you will meet as a group (we have 12 candidates per day) with the program director and then with the chief residents who will answer any questions from the group. From noon until 1 p.m., we offer the ability to continue on the Thalamus virtual meeting and informally converse with our residents as they come to the resident break room to eat lunch.
For more information about our application or interview process, please contact our program.