Helpful Guidelines for Parents
- Bring a record of the child's immunization history on the day of surgery.
- Plan to be with your child in the Surgery Center before and after surgery. Parents may rejoin their child as soon as the child awakens.
- Parents of minors (children under the age of 18) are required to stay on the premises throughout the patient's stay.
- It is suggested that two adults accompany the child on discharge. During the ride home, one will be able to care for the child while the other drives.
- In the unlikely event that your child's surgical or anesthetic procedure becomes unexpectedly prolonged or complicated, your child's physician may arrange admission to the hospital.
- When a child is required to stay overnight at the hospital, one parent may stay in the room with him or her.
- You are encouraged to bring a special toy and/or blanket or pacifier with you for your child.
- Please review the Pediatric Pre-Surgical Food and Drink instructions.
Preparing Children for Surgery
- Some children 18 years of age or younger are not required to have pre-surgical testing. In order to determine if your child requires pre-surgical testing, a nurse will contact the parent or guardian by phone prior to surgery in order to conduct a telephone interview. A medical history will be obtained and pre-op instructions will be given at this time. A pre-surgical testing visit is available upon request.
- Tours for children and their families are available through the Volunteer Office. We encourage all parents/guardians to take advantage of this special service. Please contact our Volunteer office at (518) 262-1493 if you are interested in a tour. Special books explaining operations and hospitals are available for you to read to your child. Please ask our nurses to show you where they are.
Pediatric Pre-Surgical Food and Drink Instructions
- No solid foods after midnight
- 6 - hour cutoff for milk and formula
- 4 - hour cutoff for breast milk
- 3 - hour cutoff for clear liquids
- Nothing by mouth 3 hours before surgery
- Please follow any additional dietary restrictions your Surgeon has instructed.