At Albany Med, we believe that treatment begins long before surgery. Our surgeons first provide patients with a comprehensive evaluation and diagnosis, appropriate surgical procedures and personalized plan for their post-operative care. Our surgeons are experts in a wide range of surgical approaches, including:
A type of minimally invasive surgery where the surgeon makes small incisions and inserts ports (small tubes) into these incisions. A camera and thin surgical instruments are placed in the ports to enter the patient's body. The camera transmits an image onto a monitor, which the surgeon uses to see inside the body and perform the operation. This method results in quicker recovery times, less discomfort and minimal scarring for the patient.
A type of minimally invasive surgery that uses a computer console to translate a surgeon’s movements to surgical instruments, which are attached to robotic arms. This 3-D platform enhances precision, magnification and range of motion. This method also results in faster recover times, less discomfort and minimal scarring for the patient.
Long incisions are applied to skin and tissue to gain direct access to the necessary structures and organs. Surgeons are able to see into the body and insert instruments through the incision.
Other innovative surgical treatments offered include:
- Appendectomies (laparoscopic or open)
- Cholecystectomy: surgical removal of the gall bladder (single port surgery which is done with 1 incision, laparoscopic or open)
- Hernia repair (robotic, laparoscopic or open)
- Intestinal (bowel) obstruction (laparoscopic or open)
- Inflammatory diseases of the stomach, small intestine, and colon
- Management of benign and malignant diseases of the breast
- Nissen Fundoplication surgery to treat gastrointestinal reflux disease
- Open surgery for disorders of the thyroid, parathyroid, and adrenal glands
- Repair of skin lesions, tumors, cysts
- Surgical management of benign and malignant diseases of the pancreas including:
- Acute pancreatitis
- Chronic pancreatitis
- Pancreatic cancer
- Surgical management of other malignancies including soft tissue sarcomas and malignant melanomas