Dr. Elihu Butts, Albany Medical College, Class of 1848, from his thesis on the importance of Forensic Medicine:
Dr. Butts' hand-written thesis, entitled On the Importance of the Physicians Being well versed in Medical Jurisprudence, is housed in the Albany Medical College Archives. Click here to read the thesis online.
The National Library of Medicine Murder Pamphlets exhibit, features the trial of John Hendrickson, Jr., for the murder of his wife Maria by poisoning in Bethlehem, N.Y. At the 1853 trial, Dr. James Salisbury, Albany Medical College - Class of 1850 and Dr. John Swinburne, Albany Medical College - Class of 1846 gave testimony as to the poison used to cause her death. Click on the pamphlet cover for more information.
- " Postmortem Drug Screening by Non-targeted and Targeted Ultra-Performance Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry Technology" by TG Rosano, M Wood, and TA Swift, Department of Pathology and Labortory Medicine, Albany Medical Center.
- "Ethylene Glycol and Glycolic Acid in Postmortem Blood from Fatal Poisonings," by TG Rosano, TA Swift, CJ Kranick, and M Sikirica, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Albany Medical Center.
- "Fatal Strychnine Poisoning: Application of Gas Chromatography and Tandem Mass Spectrometry," by TG Rosano, JD Hubbard, JM Meola, and TA Swift, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Albany Medical Center.
- "The Use of Pulmonary Interstitial Emphysema as an Indicator of Live Birth," by WA Lavezzi, KM Keough, P Der'Ohannesian, TL Person, BC Wolf, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, Albany Medical Center.
- Sachin K. Patel, MD and Richard Jacobs, MD, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery at AMC, speculate about "The Suspicious Demise of Amy Robsart" whose murder scandalized English Society in the year 1560.
Search Pubmed for information about:
- Forensic Medicine and Expert Testimony in Homicide cases.
- Autopsy & Homicide
- Forensic Pathology & Homicide.
- Find free full-text articles about
Arsenic Poisoning & Forensics at PubMed Central.
- What is Arsenic? How do people get exposed to arsenic? Get answers from the Toxic Substances Portal from the ATSDR.
- Learn about arsenic toxicity in Medscape and an Arson Toxicity Case Study from the Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry (ATSDR), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.
- Look in MedlinePlus to see how your fingernails can indicate Arsenic poisoning or other health probelems.
- Check the Enviro-Health Links from the National Library of Medicine and U.S. Department of Health for a list of links about arsenic, human health and the environment.
- Search for articles about Criminal Responsibility in PubMed Central.
- Find information in PubMed about Forensic Psychiatry and expert testimony in homicide cases.
here to discover the details of the famous case that helped establish the insanity defense in New York State. Read more articles about the insanity defense in