How to Apply to our Program
Requirements & Eligibility
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to Albany Medical Center's residency programs:
Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications: Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education * or have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.** Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.* Graduates from schools outside of the US are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF: more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the 3rd and 4th years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school ' s curriculum, as configured. A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
Our program looks for candidates who meet the following criteria:
- USMLE Scores of 220 or above on both Steps I and II, first attempt (or a minimum of 50th percentile Comlex scores for osteopathic graduates).
- minimum of six months of clinical training (such as an externship) in the United States or the United Kingdom, along with three letters of recommendation from the United States or United Kingdom physicians with whom you have worked in this setting.
- We sponsor only J-1 visas. We do NOT sponsor H1-B visas.
- No more than five years out of medical school.
- We accept applications only through ERAS. No paper applications or faxed materials will be accepted.
- New York State mandates that you have not spent more than twelve weeks of elective time outside your medical school country while enrolled as a student (prior to receiving your medical degree). Please click here to see a list of medical schools in which this rule does not apply.
All applications to this program are to be submitted through ERAS. To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Photograph (required)
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE Steps I and II (for Osteopathic graduates Comlex I and II)
- Clinical Skills Assessment (CSA)
- Medical School Transcript and Diploma/Certificate
- Dean's Letter
- 3 Current Letters of Recommendation
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
|The application deadline for this program is December 31st.|
For additional information, please contact our program.