Histology Services include:
- Advice on proper tissue fixation techniques (see below)
- Tissue processing and paraffin embedding
- Sectioning of paraffin embedded tissue
- Cryopreservation and sectioning of frozen tissue
- H & E staining as well as a broad range of “special stains”
Proper Tissue Fixation Techniques
We recommend fixation of tissue samples for 24 - 48 hours (depending on size) in formalin. After this initial fixation, transfer the specimens to 70% ETOH. We prefer to receive samples in 70% ETOH and this is the recommended reagent to hold specimens in while awaiting processing and embedding. The Histology Core staff is available to trim tissue samples, however for maximum fixation efficiency we recommend this be done by the investigator.
Note: please provide submitted tissue in a cassette or vial, the tissue can be trimmed or untrimmed. The costs in preparing tissue for sectioning reflect the work involved in getting the tissue to the point of sectioning.