Albany Medical Center Professional Image Standards
- Albany Medical Center is a business. We are here to serve customers and need to remember our business is a serious one.
- We make impressions on our customers by how we speak, act, and dress.
- Everyone is responsible for dressing within business standards. Clothing acceptable for recreation or social settings may not be appropriate for business.
- Customers are our first priority at Albany Medical Center
- We are professional - this means we exhibit a courteous, conscientious, and business-like manner in the workplace.
- We meet and exceed safety and infection control guidelines.
- Our Image Standards apply to all staff, all shifts, all sites, and any time we represent Albany Med (e.g.,meetings, seminars, etc.).
- Although we each may encounter different types of customers, the same standards apply.
- Requests for religious and medical accommodations should be made to your direct manager.
- Repeated violations of these standards may result in corrective action up to and including job termination.
Our Courtesy and Conduct Guidelines
- We maintain an overall image of professionalism to demonstrate concern and respect for all who come in contact with Albany Med.
- We treat all staff and patients with courtesy and respect at all times.
- We refrain from shouting, rudeness, and profane or offensive language, as well as the use of slang and other jargon.
- The same standards apply to the hallways, cafeteria, smoking areas, and parking areas.
- Smoking is prohibited on Albany Medical Center grounds and off-sites owned and/or leased by Albany Med as well as on walkways, sidewalks, driveways and parking areas/garages in and around Albany Med facilities.
- Patient confidentiality and privacy must be adhered to at all times.
- Personal cell phones and other communication devices are to be silent and not visible while on duty.
Our Attire Guidelines
|Non-uniformed employees||Non-uniformed employees|
|Uniformed employees||Uniformed Employees|
Our Personal Hygiene/Grooming Guidelines
- should be clean and hair color natural looking
- away from face when with patients or clients
- neatly styled
- facial hair should be neatly styled and groomed
- should be minimized
- may be banned to avoid allergic reactions, if needed
- natural looking
- kept to a minimum
- in certain areas of Albany Med, jewelry is unsafe and should not be worn
- clean and well-groomed
- nail polish and nail length conservative
- in certain areas, artificial nails must comply with Albany Med's infection control policy
- gowns, masks, head/foot coverings and other barriers are to be removed after completion of task, before leaving work area, and before going to another patient
- where possible, tattoos are to be covered while on duty
- non-traditional body jewelry (e.g., tongue, eyebrow, lips, nose) is not to be worn while on duty
- I.D. badges must be worn at all times, on upper torso, face up
- dark glasses are not to be worn while on duty
- personal head coverings - unless part of a uniform - are not to be worn while on duty
- undergarments must be covered and not visible
The standards in this brochure are a brief summary intended to be guidelines, and are not the complete policy. The guidelines and the underlying policy are subject to change by Albany Medical Center at any time, without prior notice. Should you have any questions or concerns, or should you need further guidance regarding the standards, please consult your manager or the Human Resources Department for assistance.