The seven-story Medical Education Building contains four lecture halls with a combined capacity of about 700, as well as smaller conference-classrooms, student laboratories, faculty offices and research laboratories. This building connects to the five-story Neil Hellman Medical Research Building. The Hellman Building, which has 75,000 square feet of floor space, houses research quarters and equipment. This building also contains many additional teaching facilities, as well as faculty and administrative offices.
The original Medical College building on this campus, a five-story structure completed in 1928 and expanded in 1951, houses student laboratories and classrooms. The College Bookstore, located on the first floor of this building, features current textbooks, reference books and selected paperback books, as well as a selection of gifts and novelty items.
Located near the Neil Hellman Medical Research Building is the Theobald Smith Laboratory, a two-story structure of historic significance which houses the Departments of Family Practice, Radiation Oncology, Neurology and additional research laboratories.
In May of 2007 Albany Medical Center unveiled the Physicians Pavilion, a 45,000-square foot $15 million addition to our campus. The Physicians Pavilion focuses the broadest range of medical and surgical specialties in northeastern New York.
Independent Learning Resources Center of the Schaffer Library
The ILRC (Independent Learning Resources Center) on the fifth floor of the library features equipment and materials to support self-directed, multimedia learning. A computer teaching/learning laboratory houses a variety of educational resources, including computer-assisted instruction software, continuing medical education programs, a curriculum database and a variety of literature and full text databases. Faculty and students are able to access material in the library from offices or terminals throughout the campus via modem. The range of multimedia formats reaches beyond computer resources to include slides, audio/video cassettes, X-rays and models. The ILRC also houses the computer-assisted interactive teaching device (Actronics machine) for learning basic and advanced cardiac life support.
New York State Medical Library
The New York State Medical Library, just a mile from the Medical Center, is an important adjunct to the College Library. The State Medical Library has 220,000 volumes and subscribes to 2,500 periodicals in the health sciences. There is a daily courier service, not only to the New York State Library, but also to the libraries of the University at Albany, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Union College, Skidmore College, and other academic and research libraries in the Capital Region. Because of this collaborative relationship, Albany Medical College has the ability to supplement the State Library's collection of less frequently used journals.
New York State Department of Health
The geographic proximity of Albany Medical College and the New York State Department of Health has led to a close relationship in many instructional, research and community health activities. The Medical College and the Division of Laboratories and Research of the New York State Department of Health (DOH) are located less than one mile from each other, and the Medical College and DOH staffs exchange services. There is ample opportunity for an interchange of scientific information, instruction and cooperation on a variety of research projects. The personnel and facilities of the Virology and Biochemistry Laboratories of the State Health Department far exceed the capabilities of many similar laboratories in medical schools. Staff members of these laboratories take part in the instruction of medical and graduate students in the fields of Biochemistry, Virology (Microbiology) and Internal Medicine. The benefits of collaborative efforts between the State Department of Health and Albany Medical College take on increased significance in the fields of teaching, research and service in the medical sciences as the respective programs of DOH and the College expand.