The overall size and structure of the Academy has been carefully planned so it can function as a productive organization with a balance of senior and junior faculty members assuring development of the next generation of faculty educators. Each Academy member will serve for a five-year term and will be eligible for re-election one time, after which they may be elected as Â,Emeritus Academy FellowsÂŠ. It is envisioned that total membership will be approximately 30-45 active fellows, not counting emeritus members.
The structure and activities of the Academy includes the following:
- Department of Medical Education: A Department of Medical Education has been established that will serve as the primary resource for planning, implementation and reward for academic growth and development. It will be the home for some faculty members, for the Office of Medical Education, and will provide resources and support for educational research activities.
- Professional development for faculty: The Academy offers activities to foster faculty members’ professional growth as educators. This includes activities like seminars, workshops, 1:1 consultation, competitive funding to support the development of educational innovations, and attendance at professional conferences.
- Recognition and reward for excellence in education: The Academy provides awards to recognize outstanding teaching, mentoring of students and faculty, and educational contributions throughout the continuum of undergraduate, graduate and continuing medical education.
- Fellowship program: Fellows will be selected through a competitive process and will use the one-year fellowship to develop curriculum design skills (basic or clinical science educator) or to acquire the ability to perform clinical research (clinical scientist). The fellowship program will have two tracks:
- Basic or Clinical Science Educator
- Clinical Scientist
- Mentoring: New faculty members will be paired with a more senior faculty member to assist them in maximizing their career potential and the preparation of appropriate materials for the appointment and tenure process.
- Continuous curriculum revision: The Academy will support regular reviews of the curriculum in order to provide for continuous revision and innovation and assure that the educational programs are robust and responsive to the challenges of education physicians and physicians-to-be. A competitive grant process, offered for the first time this year, will support the creation of curricular innovations.
Membership categories include:
- Junior Faculty Fellows: Â,Junior fellowsÂŠ consist of those faculty members who have achieved the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor
- Senior Faculty Fellows: Â,Senior fellowsÂŠ consist of those faculty members who have achieved the rank of Associate or Full-Professor
- Emeritus Academy Fellows: Â,Emeritus fellowsÂŠ will have a special role as mentors and advisors.