Residents admitted each year are integrated into the department and participate with faculty in developing their own areas of expertise across four years of intensive training in psychiatry.
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to Albany Medical Center's residency/fellowship programs:
Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications: Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education * or have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.** Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.* Graduates from schools outside of the US are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF: more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the 3rd and 4th years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school ' s curriculum, as configured. A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
Applications for PGY-1 positions are accepted through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS), and should be received no later than December 1st. Interviews are scheduled from late October to February.
To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
Psychiatry Residency Program Requirements for Albany Medical Center:
- Applications will only be accepted through ERAS.
- Albany Medical Center only sponsors the J-1 visa; it does not sponsor H1-B visas.
- Minimum scores for USMLE’s are 187. Priority is given to applicants who have passed CSA.
- Priority will be given to applicants who either practiced Psychiatry in their home country or who obtained a neuroscience related graduate degree or training in the neurosciences in this country.
- The personal statement should be well written, demonstrate a command of written English, and provide information regarding the applicant’s interest in Psychiatry.
- A period of no longer than 5 years shall have elapsed since graduation from medical school if not actively engaged in medical practice or training.
- New York State mandates that you have not spent more than twelve weeks of elective time outside your medical school country while enrolled as a student (prior to receiving your medical degree.) If you have spent more than twelve weeks away from your medical school country, you are ineligible for training in New York State. The following medical schools have been approved by the NYS Education Dept.
*American University of Antigua, Antigua
*American University of the Caribbean, St. Martin, Netherlands Antilles
*The Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
*English Language Program, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Medical School, Debrecen, Hungary
*English Language Program, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland
*English Language Program, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
*Fatima College of Medicine, Manila, Philippines
*International Health and Medicine Program, Ben Gurion University of the Negrev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
*Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
*Medical University of the Americas/Nevis, Nevis, West Indies
*Ross University School of Medicine, Roseau, Dominica
*Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Netherland Antilles
*St. George's University School of Medicine, St. George's, Grenada
*St. Matthew's University School of Medicine, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (if graduated after 2003)
We encourage you to visit the web site, http://www.amc.edu/GreatPlace/index.html to learn more about our area.
-Thank you for your interest.-
|The application deadline for this program is December 1st.|
For additional information, please contact our program.