Requirements & Eligibility
Thank you for your interest in the Neurosurgery Program at Albany Medical Center.
Applicants with one of the following qualifications are eligible for appointment to Albany Medical Center's residency/fellowship programs:
Graduates of medical schools in the United States and Canada accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME).
Graduates of colleges of osteopathic medicine in the United States accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
Graduates of medical schools outside the United States and Canada who meet one of the following qualifications: Have received a currently valid certificate from the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates AND are graduates of schools approved by the New York State Department of Education * or have a full and unrestricted New York State license to practice medicine.** Graduates of medical schools outside the United States who have completed a Fifth Pathway program provided by an LCME-accredited medical school.
Candidates may be considered who are currently enrolled in foreign medical schools if they are eligible for the Restricted Interim Certificate from ECFMG, issued to students who have passed the Basic Science, Clinical Science and English examinations and are awaiting the issuance of their medical school diplomas.* Graduates from schools outside of the US are ineligible for residency training in New York State IF: more than 12 weeks of clerkship training (during the 3rd and 4th years of medical school) occurred outside of the country in which the medical school is located UNLESS the New York State Education Department has approved that school ' s curriculum, as configured. A list of those schools currently approved is available in the GME Department.
Our eligibility criteria incorporates a review of all materials submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service. We do not utilize any single application element in our consideration of these materials. Personal interview is required. We generally receive over 150 applications and invite 25-30 to interview. All applications must be received through ERAS. This is a 7-year categorical program. Our resident complement is 2-2-2-2-2-2.
- If you are an IMG, you must have a J-1 visa or permanent residency. We do not sponsor H-1 visas.
- USMLE of 215 or better is preferred (1st attempt).
- IMPORTANT: We cannot accept for residency any IMG with more than 12 weeks of clinical clerkship outside of the country of their medical school unless candidate is a graduate from one of the following medical schools, which have been approved by the NYS Education Department. (This is a New York State rule.)
- American University of Antigua, Antigua
- American University of the Caribbean, St. Martin, Netherland Antilles
- The Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
- English Language Program, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Medical School, Debrecen, Hungary
- English Language Program, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland
- English Language Program, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
- Fatima College of Medicine, Manila, Philippines
- International Health and Medicine Program, Ben Gurion University of the Negrev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
- Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
- Medical University of the Americas/Nevis, Nevis, West Indies
- Ross University School of Medicine, Roseau, Dominica
- Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Netherland Antilles
- St. George's University School of Medicine, St. George's, Grenada
- St. Matthew's University School of Medicine, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (if graduated after 2003)
- Graduation from medical school within 3 years.
|The application deadline for this program is November 1st. All applications to this program are to be submitted through ERAS. To apply for this program through ERAS you will be required to submit the following materials:
- Personal Statement
- Curriculum Vitae
- USMLE Steps I and II
- Medical School Transcript and Diploma/Certificate
- Dean's Letter (not necessary at time of application)
- 3 Current Letters of Recommendation
- ECFMG Certificate (if applicable)
|The application deadline for this program is November 1st. |
For additional information, please contact our program coordinator.