Find a Doctor
With over 450 board-certified physicians, Albany Med Faculty Physicians are some of the most expert in their field. All Albany Med Faculty Physicians, along with a variety of other medical providers, are affiliated with Albany Medical Center Hospital. Find the right physicians who meet your medical needs.
Physicians displayed with the Albany Med logo participate in all listed insurance plans.
Those listed without the Albany Med logo may or may not accept all plans listed.
Please contact those physician's offices directly for a listing of participating insurance plans. Charges are available upon request.
James Lawrence MD
American Board of Surgery,
Bone & Joint/Capital Region Orthopaedics
1367 Washington Avenue, Suite 300
Attn: Jaime Bogovich
Albany, NY 12206
Tel: (518) 489-2666
Fax: (518) 489-5933
Spinal disorders, spine trauma, spinal cord injury
Cervical spine, spine deformity
Disc herniation, spinal stenosis
Degenerative and arthritis conditions of the spine
07/01/2007 - 06/30/2008
Thomas Jefferson Univ Hosp
07/01/2002 - 05/30/2007
Yale-New Haven Hospital
New Haven, CT
08/01/1998 - 05/30/2002
Univ. of Connecticut School of Medicine
Dr. Lawrence is board certified by the American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery and is licensed to practice medicine in the state of New York. He is also an Assistant Professor in the Orthopaedic Division of the Department of Surgery at Albany Medical College. His expertise and interests include minimally invasive spinal surgery, cervical and lumbar disk problems and stenosis, complex adult spinal deformity surgery, complex spinal trauma, and spinal tumors.
After graduating from his undergraduate studies at Trinity College, Dr. Lawrence received medical and business degrees from the University of Connecticut. He then completed his internship and residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Yale. Dr. Lawrence completed fellowship training in Orthopaedic and Neurosurgical Spine Surgery at the prestigious Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and the Rothman Institute in Philadelphia.
Dr. Lawrence has authored numerous publications in the basic science and clinical practice of spine surgery and many chapters in leading textbooks in Spinal Surgery. He has presented research internationally and at numerous national meetings, including the North American Spine Society, the Cervical Spine Research Society, the Scoliosis Research Society, the Eastern Orthopaedic Association, and the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
His current research interests surround the development of original techniques and instruments in spinal surgery, outcomes research, and the basic science and physiology of the intervertebral disk. Dr. Lawrence is also a member of several professional societies.
Associations / Awards
- Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation Young Investigator Award, 2011
- O. Don Chrisman Orthopaedic Research Award, Yale University Department of Orthopaedics and Rehabilitation, New Haven, CT, 2007
- Eastern Orthopaedic Association Resident Research Award, Boca Raton, FL, 2006
- Finalist, Russell Hibbs Basic Science Award, Scoliosis Research Society, Monterey, CA, 2006
- Assistant Professor of Surgery, Albany Medical College, Albany, NY
- Fellow, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Diplomate, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS)
- American Orthopaedic Association Emerging Leaders Program
- Board of Trustees Musculoskeletal Transplant Foundation
- North American Spine Society
- Yale Surgical Society and Yale Orthopaedic Association
- New York State Medical Society
- Thomas Jefferson University Surgical Society
- American College of Physician Executives
- American Spinal Injury Association
- Reviewer, Spine
Capital Region Orthopaedics
Malta Medical Emergent Care
6 Medical Park Drive
Malta, NY 12020