A Pre-admission tour can help in many ways:
- Prepare children and families for what to expect on the day of surgery and throughout their hospital stay.
- Provide an orientation to the hospital through a video and/or guided walking tour.
- Provide an opportunity for children to see and feel medical equipment that they may encounter as a patient.
- Explain the child’s upcoming procedure and illness in a way children can understand.
- Teach relaxation and pain management techniques during stressful times.
- Give parents a better understanding of the emotional and behavioral changes children may demonstrate during stressful times and suggest ways of helping.
Please call the Child Life Office to schedule a pre-operative tour at (518)262-3496.