The US controlled substances prescription abuse statistics are simply staggering and they’re only getting worse:
· America has 4.5% of the world’s population; America’s doctors prescribe more than 80% of the world’s opioid drug supply annually.
· Each day 46 persons in the US die from a prescription pain killer overdose.
· Ten of the states that have the highest narcotic drug-prescribing rate are in the South.
· Prescription pain medicine abuse in the US is so bad that addicts who can’t get their opioid prescriptions any longer are turning to street heroin to get their narcotic fixes.
However, the federal government and the states have been responding to stop the prescription drug abuse epidemic with marginal success to date:
· At least one nationwide pharmacy chain has instituted policies to avoid filling some controlled substances prescriptions that are suspect.
The Alden March Bioethics Institute offers a Master of Science in Bioethics, a Doctorate of Professional Studies in Bioethics, and Graduate Certificates in Clinical Ethics and Clinical Ethics Consultation. For more information on AMBI's online graduate programs, please visit our website.