Albany Medical College
Albany Medical College, one of the nation's oldest private medical schools, prides itself in offering an intimate, collegial environment which fosters humane values and genuine learning. The institution was founded in 1839 with an initial enrollment of 57 medical students. In 1953, the first graduate student received a Master of Science degree from the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology. Two years later students received Doctor of Philosophy from the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology as well as the Department of Pathology.
As expressed in the Act of Incorporation, the primary mission of Albany Medical College is to "promote medical science and instruction in the departments of learning connected there with." Albany Medical College continues to pursue excellence in the education of health care personnel, research in the basic and clinical medical sciences, and services to the community.
In 1873, Albany Medical College affiliated with Union College and Albany Law School to form Union University. They were later joined by Albany College of Pharmacy and Dudley Observatory. Each institution has its own governing board and its own programs. The Board of Governors of Union University serves both to advise and to expand the areas of voluntary cooperation.
Albany Medical Center
Albany Medical Center is a private corporation formed in 1982 which administratively links Albany Medical College and Albany Medical Center Hospital. The Center consolidates planning, financial, fund raising and policy direction for the College and Hospital, assuring that the two institutions pursue appropriately integrated and reinforced missions in health care, education and biomedical research.
The Medical Center is Albany's largest non-governmental employer with approximately 5,000 employees. The Center is at the hub of a health care network that includes 50 hospitals and more than 3,000 physicians in its 25-county service region.