Albany Medical Center is the region’s only academic health sciences center in the 25 counties of eastern New York and western New England. The Center incorporates the 631-bed Albany Medical Center Hospital; one of upstate New York’s largest teaching hospitals, Albany Medical College, which was founded in 1839 as one of the nation’s first private medical schools; the Albany Medical Center Faculty Group Practice, and the Albany Medical Center Foundation, Inc. Recent changes include the construction of the 45,000 square foot Physicians Pavilion which houses most of the outpatient services. In addition, a Hilton Garden Inn has been completed across the street from the hospital which will serve patients and their families, as well as accommodate visiting professors and prospective students and residents.
In 2005, procedure volumes within Radiology included nuclear medicine 14,000, ultrasound 35,000, interventional/special procedures 34,000, computed tomography 90,000, magnetic resonance imaging 30,000, adult general diagnostic 148,000, and pediatric general diagnostic 41,000, totaling 392,000 procedures.
In recent years, Albany Medical Center has invested substantially in technical improvements for the Department of Diagnostic Radiology. A Stentor/iSite PACS system was installed within the medical center and web-based image distribution was made possible with a web-based image server from Stentor. All of our modalities except for mammography are fully integrated into the Stentor/iSite PACS system. With the introduction of PACS, the department is now filmless. The PACS system may be accessed remotely with an internet connection and password.
At the present time, six ultrasound rooms support the department of Diagnostic Radiology. This does not include the two portable units serving the interventional radiology division for ultrasound-guided procedures. Pediatric radiology has dedicated space for fluoroscopy and diagnostic radiology.