Thank you for your interest in the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation training program at Albany Medical Center.
Our eligibility criteria incorporates a review of all materials submitted through the Electronic Residency Application Service, including medical school transcript, letters of recommendation, personal statement, USMLE/COMLEX scores. In considering candidates for residency, we do review each and every application that we receive. We do not utilize any single application element in our consideration of these materials. Personal interview is required. We are primarily looking for evidence that candidates have the ability and motivation to develop into skilled, caring and competent physiatrists.
We will be accepting applications in September for the upcoming recruitment season. (You must do your preliminary year in Medicine at Albany Medical Center. If you match with us in PM&R you will be guaranteed your preliminary year here. Separate application is not required.) We receive about 300 applications each year and invite approximately 35 applicants to interview. As invitations to interview are extended on a rolling basis, we encourage you to apply early. We have two positions available each year. The following are the criteria to be considered for our training program in Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation:
1) All applications are through ERAS.
2) If you are an IMG, must have a J1 visa or permanent residency. We do not sponsor H1 visas.
3) USMLE of 220 or better are preferred (1st attempt). COMLEX is also accepted.
4) Prior clinical experience is preferred.
5) IMPORTANT: We cannot accept for residency any IMG with more than 12 weeks of clinical clerkship outside of the country of their medical school unless person is a graduate from one of the following medical schools which have been approved by the NYS Education Department. (This is a NYS rule.)
*American University of Antigua, Antigua
*American University of the Caribbean, St. Martin, Netherland Antilles
*The Autonomous University of Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Mexico
*English Language Program, University of Debrecen, Medical and Health Science Center, Medical School, Debrecen, Hungary
*English Language Program, Medical University of Lublin, Lublin, Poland
*English Language Program, Medical University of Silesia, Katowice, Poland
*Fatima College of Medicine, Manila, Philippines
*International Health and Medicine Program, Ben Gurion University of the Negrev, Beer-Sheva, Israel
*Kasturba Medical College, Manipal, India
*Medical University of the Americas/Nevis, Nevis, West Indies
*Ross University School of Medicine, Roseau, Dominica
*Saba University School of Medicine, Saba, Netherland Antilles
*St. George's University School of Medicine, St. George's, Grenada
*St. Matthew's University School of Medicine, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands (if graduated after 2003)
6) Graduation from medical school within the last 4 years.
7) We interview during November, December and January. You will be contacted only if we will be inviting you to interview.
|The application deadline for this program is November 15. |
For additional information, please contact our program.